Here's a recap-
In January, we found out the baby in my belly was a boy! We also went to the Sundance and Slamdance Film Festivals in Park City, Utah to root on our friends' documentary "Wesley Willis's Joyrides," which I highly recommend. While we were there, I saw 10+ films, some good, some bad. Since I love horror films, I was tickled to meet two horror icons Robert Englund who plays the character Freddy Krueger on "Nightmare on Elm Street" and director George Romero who created the zombie film genre starting with "Night of the Living Dead." I met Freddy at a screening of a film he was in "Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer" and we saw Romero at a screening of his latest zombie film "Diary of the Dead." But also I saw an "old guy" getting out a taxi so I went to help him since he was struggling to get out and it happened to be George Romero and his wife, HOW COOL! January also was the month I was also laid off of my job at the tv station since they were relocating to Los Angeles and I had no intention of moving there. It was actually the best thing that could have happened to me at that time in my life. OH and the morning that we left for Sundance, Jim felt Edison kick for the first time!
Here I am with Freddy Krueger-

Moving on to February.... On Valentine's Day Jim and I went out to Annie's for breakfast after a doctor's appointment and decided on Edison's name. Jim came up with the "Edison" part and I came up with "Rex." The name part was the hardest thing about my pregnancy. I was certain I was having a girl, so I had my girl name picked out for years, but since we were having a boy, I honestly didn't have a clue what to name him. Jim wanted to name our son after a captain of industry or scientist and he kept coming back to Edison. I resisted a little... I liked the name, but I had my reasons and in the end we chose it. Jim thought Edison was the best choice from our list... obviously an homage to a great American inventor, but he also loved the Max Headroom tv series, which Max's character's real name is Edison Carter, so Edison Compton was similar to that. I chose Rex because it means king in latin and I liked the way it sounded together.
Look, my belly's getting big-

March was a great month too. I went to Los Angeles with a close friend of mine and I got to see my brother and his new fiance out there and do a little shopping. We flew out there and then drove back via a quick stop at the Salton Sea, then down to Phoenix for a night, then Santa Fe for a night after delicious world-famous cinnamon rolls in Albuquerque at The Frontier. OH YEAH, Jim and I also got married on March 13th! It was almost 6 years to the day of our first date! Those of you close to us know the story... its a cute story if you don't know it, so email me. March was also fun because we were taking a childbirth class and it was getting us excited for Edison's arrival.
We're married, I'm in jeans, how glamorous-
April was a joy as well... I was eBaying tons of stuff to make some extra $$$ pre-baby and prepping the nursery. I had two wonderful baby showers thrown by great friends of ours. They were the best because we got loot for Edison, but more because I got to see friends and family that I don't get to see everyday! I also loved April because I got to see Kraftwerk in concert. This was the band's first time (and probably only time) to play Denver. It was awesome! I was super excited because I was pregnant which meant I could sit up front in the "handicapped" section, but as soon as they started playing, it was so loud that Edison started kicking, as if to push himself away from my belly because it was so loud. I tried muzzling the sound with my coat and Jim's but it didn't work so we went to the back of the venue to watch the show.
Here's a picture from my baby shower that Tod took of me looking like a baby-

MAY DAY MAY DAY, BABY ALERT... I had a false alarm a few weeks before my due date. I was driving to Boulder to do my radio show and I could have sworn that my water had broke, so I called my radio boss, cancelled my shift and called Jim telling him that I think I'm in labor. We called the doctor, they told us to go to the hospital. They got me all set up and told me that I wasn't leaving the hospital without a baby. It was crazy, we weren't ready at all... our glider had just arrived that day and had yet to be put together. Thankfully they discharged since it was a false alarm. Then a few weeks later Edison arrived on May 23rd and our lives have forever been changed in the most awesome of ways! He brings us so much joy!
Here I am the final week of my radio show (about 1 week, 2 days before Edison arrived)-

And well that brings us to where this blog has started and when our little lamb was born-
No comments:
Post a Comment