Wednesday, May 26, 2010

California Family Vacation: Fun in the Sun!

QUICK NOTE: I'll post pics soon!

We went to California for a long weekend to attend my brother's wedding which just happened to be the day before Edison's second birthday. So what'd we do? Have a beach blanket birthday party... sort of.

Edison had been looking forward to this trip for a few months. We even made a countdown calendar on our dry erase board with a drawing of an airplane, sun and a palm tree on May 20th the day we flew out and a drawing of the ocean and a cupcake on his birthday, the 23rd. He was able to tell anyone who asked what he was doing for his birthday over the last month or so this: "California... beach... cupcakes!"

DAY 1: Edison was a total champ in the airport and on the plane. One meltdown, but it had to do with wanting to walk around the plane with his shirt and shoes off and I wanted him to stay dressed. We flew into LAX, picked up our rental car and headed for our hotel in Rancho Cucamonga where my brother Seth lives.

The rest of the traveling Sweeney clan was staying there too but we were the first to arrive. We did a little shopping in the area and hung out with my grandpa and his lady friend who flew in from Cheyenne, as well as my great aunt and uncle Connie and Joe who live in Littleton. Eventually my uncle who lives in LA showed up.

That night was the rehearsal dinner so we got to meet Alyssa's side of the family and the bridal party. I was supposed to be a bridesmaid, but I opted out because I didn't know how pregnant I would be (aka, would I want to stand up during the ceremony, would I be way too big for the dress since you have to order early). The rehearsal dinner was nice and I surprised my mom with my new haircut. I didn't tell her I was cutting it, but it's shorter than hers (see I've never been one to cut my hair below my shoulders for my entire life). I also predicted exactly how my mom would react... she said, "I love it, and can your hairdresser give me the same cut!?" I'm guessing my mom won't want to go platinum though :)

DAY 2: We had a nice breakfast at the hotel with the family and just sort of laid low for the day. We went for a swim at the hotel's pool. Edison needed some extra sleep so he took a three-hour marathon nap that afternoon. We had a real nice dinner at a BBQ place next to the hotel with the family... which also included my sister and her daughter and my parents.

DAY 3: Wedding day! The wedding was at this amazing gardens in the mountains of Oak Glen, California. It had been beautiful weather the past few days so when we arrived at the wedding we were quite bummed out that it was incredibly windy and chilly that evening. But it didn't stop the outdoor wedding and reception from happening. A horse and carriage brought Alyssa and her father down to the site of the ceremony, but I was already tearing up before then. My brother was standing up there looking so happy and proud and in love that it tugged at my heart strings.

The ceremony was really sweet and my brother is such a sap. The speeches from the best man and maid of honor and the dads were super-sentimental too. I love these kinds of weddings. I wish my brother Seth and his new wife Alyssa the very best!

Because of the cold and the fact that it was an evening wedding Jim and I felt like we needed to get Edison home, so we were bummed that we couldn't stay for dancing.

DAY 4: Edison turns two! Happy birthday Edison!!! To celebrate we had a nice breakfast with family, and then headed to Santa Monica to get ready for Edison's birthday party on the beach! We picked up cupcakes from Yummy's and got some fruit and cheese and crackers and went to our hotel to check in. We stayed at the Georgian Hotel which is right across the street from the Santa Monica pier. Jim and I invited some of our LA friends to join us for Edison's birthday as well as the Sweeney clan. I was looking forward to throwing Edison an epic party.

I had envisioned that Edison was going to make sandcastles with his baby cousin Emma, throw the beach ball with his Uncle Josh and and laugh and eat cupcakes and blow out a candle with our friends and family, ride the carousel on the pier but the unexpected WINDY weather didn't really allow for all of this.

Just as I was about to throw the towel in and tell everyone to come to the hotel and sit in the lobby, my brother Josh suggested we find a spot on the Santa Monica Pier to sit where there was no sand. Great, great, great idea Josh... THANK YOU! So Josh found a spot that was not as windy and sat some blankets down and we set up camp there. Edison had a great time hanging out and opening presents and spending time with family. And I was happy that my extended family was there and I loved being able to have our LA friends meet lil' E and to catch up with them face-to-face. It all fell into place and it really meant a lot to me to have family and friends drive in LA traffic to the beach to spend time with us!

DAY 5: We finally got our beach blanket party! As nature would have it, Monday morning was a perfect day to be on the beach and we took advantage of it. We walked a few blocks to a place called Jack 'N Jills for breakfast and then brought our pail, shovel and selves down to the beach. The most fun was running away from the water as the waves pushed it further onto the sand. We all had our pants rolled up and would just laugh if our feet got wet! We called the game "No-no" and we'd say that as we'd run away from a wave.

Afterwards we checked out of hotel and went to my brother Josh and his fiance Lisa's penthouse. We had a little lunch and leftover cupcakes with them, where Edison was able to blow out two candles! I was happy to keep his birthday celebration going!

Edison did excellent on the plane ride back to Denver and overall we had a wonderful time together. I wonder where our next Compton family trip will be?! And we can't wait because little baby #2 will be along for the ride!

A SUPER HAPPY 2ND BIRTHDAY TO E-REX!!!!

No comments: