Sunday, January 30, 2011

Have you heard of Sturge-Weber Syndrome?

This is Colton. He is just a few weeks younger than Audrey. This little peanut is the son of my neighbor Emilee's dear childhood friend. He has Sturge-Weber Syndrome.

Sturge-Weber is a vascular disorder where your body makes more blood vessels than it can handle, including on the brain. Someone that has it is characterized by a port wine stain on their face. Baby Colton seems to have it pretty bad. While I don't know his exact severity, it can cause eye and internal organ irregularities and lead to glaucoma and he may even have to have brain surgery to manage seizures.

Imagine being a baby and not being able to communicate where your pain is coming from. Imagine being a new parent and feeling helpless. I feel lucky to have two healthy kids. I to want to raise my children so that they can understand and be compassionate towards those who have a sickness or a handicap. I also want to raise my kids to be thankful for the healthy body that they've been given and treat it with respect.

I had never heard of Sturge-Weber until today, but I have seen (and know) some folks that have the port wine stains on their body. Now I understand a little bit where the marks come from.

In an effort to bring awareness to Colton's situation and the syndrome, Emilee started up a blog found here: http://togetherforcolten.wordpress.com/

There's also more info about Sturge-Weber here: http://www.sturge-weber.org

Thanks Emilee for sharing this with me, and I hope that anyone who reads this will at least keep Colton and his family in their thoughts as they vie to get the best care possible for their little guy.

No comments: