Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Audrey is 17 months old!

Happy 17 months to Audrey. She is just exploding with so much knowledge and cute right now, it's wonderful. I get to say this kind of stuff, cuz I'm a proud mom, but it's true, she is just showing off her understanding of language all the time.

She easily knows over 100 words. She can say everything from "quilt" to "umbrella" to "Elmo" and "meme" (which is little sister in Chinese). She knows her dolls' names. She knows her family members' names. When we were listening to me on the radio the other day she heard me say my name and she immediately looks at me and smiles! She knows many names of foods, books and body parts.

She also shows understanding of counting 1-10. When prompted to count, she usually counts 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, but that's great. Also, when I was counting with her tonight, I would stop between numbers and she could successfully say the correct number to follow it.

Same with the ABCs... she can repeat A-G without fail every time. I first discovered this a few weeks back when she was repeating them in the car while we were driving to pick Edison up from school. But like numbers if I am singing the alphabet song to her and stop, she can say "P" or "V" or "X." We sing the ABCs a lot and I know my mom goes through them with her too while she watches her.

Audrey is beginning to recognize opposites in a book of ours and as a result, can recognize the opposites in our everyday life. Like "up" and "down" or "wet" and "dry."

She can communicate when she wants something or not... for instance when Jim asks her a series of questions if she wants something she can say "no" or "mmhmm."

She's totally into "shoes!" Tonight when Jim was putting her into her pajamas, she picked up her shoes and told him "shoes...wear!" I've always noticed this about her since she's been able to walk.

I love Audrey's mimicking lately. Mostly. I love when she mimics me, but she's also copying her brother and some of the things aren't the most desirable phrases I want to hear like when Edison said "go away" in the car the other day.... she just repeated it and repeated it while Edison laughed. But what I'm loving is her mimicking my facial expressions, I always give her smiles and blinks or I'll raise my shoulder and wink and she has started copying that. Also, when she holds my hand (finger) and I'll give her hand a little squeeze of affection and she will do it back to me.

She calls her favorite cereal Gorilla Munch "Happy Birthday" because we have a book "Little Gorilla" that we sing Happy Birthday to the gorilla in it so she associates it with that.

One thing I like is that she says she is "happy" when she is looking forward to something. We will be driving some where and all of a sudden she'll say "happy" out of the blue.

I also find it charming that she wants to "walk" all the time. She'll grab hold of my finger and take me to where she wants to go. This is typically around the house or places she feels really comfortable.

My favorite thing right now is bedtime. She is just a little cuddle bug. Our routine is read books, lights out and then I rock her and she will request songs that she wants to hear and while I sing she nestles into my chest. Then I lay her in her crib and lay next to the crib for a bit. Sometimes I rub her back and other times, she will hold onto my finger with her tiny little hand.

My you sure are blossoming Miss Audrey Mac!

Here the kids are being wild and painting on Sunday-

Here's Audrey at a birthday party at Monkey Bizness this past weekend. Her first time in a bouncy castle, which she LOVED-

Here's Audrey on Sunday helping to construct a snowman in the 50 degree weather-
Audrey and Edison get along "most" of the time-
Here's Audrey on Jim's shoulders at Edison's Holiday Concert at school-
Audrey is still excited about puzzles-
Audrey LOVES brushing her teeth, I think its mostly because the kids toothpaste is delish, but she carries her toothpaste and brush around the house all the time-

No comments: