There was an 80s theme and costume contest where the winner would eat and drink for free all night. I dressed up Edison to participate in the contest, but felt weird about entering him, because what he wears isn't a costume, I just happen to dress him in vintage clothing sometimes, so I didn't want to confuse him. He had on an original Empire Strikes Back t-shirt and I put on a few Pee-Wee's Playhouse tattoos on him, plus his converse hightops, which are a classic for every decade.
So that's a little background on the event... but the main attraction was trying out all these delicious food carts and trucks in one place. Jim got a pulled pork sandwich and fries from the Steubens truck along with a monte cristo sandwich wedge for Edison. Edison was also sneaking bites from Isabel's pizza. I got a drunken noodle bowl from the Screamin Demon vegetarian food cart. Jim had a beer from Great Divide Brewing and I got a mango kool-aid from The Inventing Room. Which I gotta say, The Inventing Room is this amazing Willy Wonka-esque/inspired cart that creates the happiest drinks and desserts and makes you feel like a 5 year old again. After we ate our entrees, we headed back over to The Inventing Room to get some Smurfberry-flavored SPACE FOAM! The pictures I have on here don't do it justice (we were too excited to eat it to truly document it), but it was a cup of moon-rock textured ice cream balls that were frozen with liquid nitrogen. They tasted so good and they looked awesome because the liquid nitrogen made them look like they were steaming/foggy. Oh and the Denver Cupcake Truck was there and they had been talking about their homemade strawberry shortcake that we got that for dessert too because well, strawberry season is pretty much over, and um... well I don't need an excuse. The shortcake was perfect.
All in all, tonight was just great. Edison had fun tasting the food and hanging out with everyone and Audrey didn't fuss once. It was very kid-friendly, the weather was wonderful and I got to spend time with friends and my sweet, sweet family. We will definitely be going back to the next food truck gathering.
BONUS PIC: The kids this morning hanging out in Edison's bed for storytime!
No comments:
Post a Comment