Saturday, October 9, 2010

A PERFECT DAY!

In Comptonland this is what we consider a perfect day--- a day where all of us are together, we get to see both sets of grandparents, eat great food and get a little exercise. A PERFECT DAY>> AKA A COMPTON PARTY!

My birthday is coming up next Friday and the celebrations have already begun thanks to grandma and grandpa Compton. Actually we didn't just celebrate my upcoming birthday, but this lovely and windy season we call Fall!

EARLY BIRTHDAY:
Our day started off by meeting up with the Comptons for birthday brunch at Root Down. I blogged about this place last week. They have excellent food and its a stunning restaurant built in an old gas station (COME VISIT, I'LL TAKE YOU THERE). They have a great menu. Everything from the crab cake benedict that Linda had to a tofu scramble that filled my belly.

Edison liked the food, but he preferred to keep grandpa busy by taking off running in the restaurant. Thank goodness Edison is outgoing and charming... this keeps us from getting on the staffs' nerves. The boys eventually went outside and there was a park across the street and played and ran around over there between eating. Jim held Audrey most of the time we were there then eventually fell asleep and we laid her in her carseat to have a little snooze oh and she got some cuddle time with grandma too.

To celebrate my birthday, we ordered a banana cream creme brulee pie. The crust of this circular piece of pie heaven was chocolate peanut butter. DELISH! To go along with today's theme of "perfect," I told Linda while we were there that this is the perfect dessert. I typically don't go for banana flavored desserts, but this was fresh banana and OH.SO.PERFECT. Thanks again to my great in-laws for breakfast.

As we were leaving the waitress said as Edison was running out the door, "he's full of bacon and eggs." Yes, yes he was. I kind of want to start saying that in lieu of being "full of beans." I know the waitress didn't mean it like that, but Edison is so energetic and silly that he sure is full of "bacon and eggs!"

SOOOO that was just the start of our PERFECT day. We then were driving home from brunch when my parents called and said they were in town and wanted to say hi. We were planning on going to the pumpkin patch today so we invited them to come along with us. Originally we were going to go to the one at the Chatfield Botanic Gardens, but after a call from my neighbor she told us Rock Creek Farm (sort of) near our house was fun (and free), so we opted to go there.

FALL HARVEST FUN:
Rock Creek Farm is a cool pumpkin patch cuz as you pull in to the farm they give you pumpkin
shears so you can go cut your own pumpkin off the vine. Edison found two perfect pumpkins that I'm staring at right now and I can't wait to decorate them and introduce Edison into the world of toasting pumpkin seeds. It was cool today to hear my mom talk with Edison about when she was a little girl and what her and her dad would decorate their pumpkins like. She told him about decorating ones like a cat, a witch and even an Indian.

Not only was there a pumpkin patch, but a petting zoo, bouncy castles, fresh caramel apples and horse rides! It was REALLY windy so we enjoyed being outside in the windy dust for as long as we could. Edison didn't mind, he never minds :) but I didn't want little Audrey out in the wind. She braved it well... I guess as long as she's cuddling with someone she isn't bothered by much.



So what do you think...
Who wins for best picture "head through the hole" picture? I find it amusing in the one of Jim and I that Edison is shown pleading with Jim not to stick his head in there.

Come 4pm, we were driving home and Jim asks me if I'm hungry. I was. So we decided to have an early dinner and use our gift certificate for The Hole. Have I told you about this place? Its in our neighborhood and their gimmick is that they serve beer, coffee and doughnuts. That includes sandwiches made on doughnuts! So we shared a pizza, some vegetarian green chilli fries and got three doughnuts to take home for breakfast in the morning. While this isn't my preferred "healthy" offering for dinner to Edison, it was yummy and everything in moderation is okay with me. Its what we call a "sometime food" (thanks Sesame Street for teaching me that motto). Edison was still full of "bacon and eggs" while we were there so he and I took a walk down Tennyson and went to the kids boutique a few doors down to look/play while our food was cooking. Jim and Audrey stayed behind and were swaying to the music that was playing at the restaurant... at least that's what it looked like when Edison and I got back.

...we know all days can't be like this, but we'll take them when we can. Hope you're having a PERFECT day too!

One last thing... loving every moment of today made me forget that just yesterday I was dreaming of ways to make this our house, balloons and all:

1 comment:

Alisha said...

Oh, picture of the balloon house is from http://looklingerlove.blogspot.com/2010/09/1st-birthday-party-jitters.html