This is a picture of Audrey and I on Friday. We were out getting cupcakes for our friends birthday and stopped at Anthony's Pizza next door as an impluse. The pizza was so huge. Jim knew the guy who manages the place, so he was extra nice to us and gave us a pizza so big, it would be on one of those food challenge shows. Audrey and I were both a little sniffly that day.
I wasn't feeling good Monday morning, but still going on with our usual routine of wake up, change diapers/go to bathroom, feed Edison, feed Audrey, entertain the kids, get Audrey down for nap, etc. By noon I was preparing lunch for everyone and I was just overcome with emotion, exhaustion and flu-like symptoms that I couldn't keep a brave face on so I had to retreat to Jim's home office (aka our bedroom) to see if he could help out and watch the kids while I rested for a few minutes. This was a big step for me as I've never been one to ask for help very often.
A few minutes led to an hour, and another and then we decided that Jim would take the kids to Audrey's doctor visit while I continued to rest. All I remember is pretty much just getting up to nurse Audrey and peek up from the covers for a few seconds to say "hi" to Edison who would periodically come in to make sure I was okay.
I slept pretty much from noon on Monday until 8am Tuesday morning, with a few hours of awake time to be with Audrey and take a bath to soothe my tummy. Tuesday I still had flu-like symptoms but nothing was happening, I just felt yucky. Jim had to go into the office, and we fared fine, we just took it easy. By last night, my flu like symptoms were coupled with chest pain so I took to google to see if I could find out what's going on with me.
Online medical sites seem to think that I'm "hyperventilating." I'm not hyperventilating like you see in the movies when someone is freaking out so much they need to breathe in a paper bag, I find myself quite calm, but (if this is what's going on) I'm unknowingly overbreathing. The definition of hyperventilation is overbreathing due to stress and anxiety. So I took online advice to slow down a bit, take some deep breaths. I really tried to focus on this a bit before I went to bed last night and I (and Audrey) slept pretty well, so I feel better today. Not 100%, but better.
Our insurance changed in January and I've been meaning to get a doctor closer to our house, so I'm gonna make an appointment tomorrow with one I've researched and hopefully get in to see her soon. It'd be nice to talk with her and maybe get some referrals to get massage and chiropractic work done. Handling the kids all the time and bottling up my stress has clearly taken a toll on my body and I need to do something about it. I've been trying to workout, and I was good for a few weeks, but my only window of time to go is 8pm after we get kids to bed and with it being cold out, its less enticing to leave the house. I can't wait for spring!
Until then, I just gotta remind myself to not over-breathe, but keep breathing.
EDIT (03/10/11): Audrey's runny nose is back, coupled with coughing. She could barely nurse her nose was just so plugged. So is Edisons. Wishful thinking we were done with the darn cold! Also, Jim thinks maybe I was just exhausted and sent me an interesting article he found from Harvard Business Review. I dunno. But I did in fact make an appointment with a new doctor and I go to see her on Monday! I'm feeling better today. Perhaps I just needed some rest. My breathing doesn't hurt, that's great!
No comments:
Post a Comment