Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Audrey's Birthday Brunch


I got asked a couple times leading up to Audrey's birthday what the theme would be, but there wasn't really a theme except cook brunch for a few local friends and family. 

LET'S CALL IT: BIRTHDAY BRUNCH!

I've been so busy living in the moment juggling work and kids and cooking and cleaning that I can't  hardly do much else, even though my brain is always planning what I need to do. I've felt absent-minded lately in that I can't do everything that my heart would like. I even forgot to send party invites out to family!

SO PARTY TIME EXCELLENT WOO WOO WOO! Sunday was all about being sweet and lovey to Audrey, spoiling her with good food and really just taking it easy at the house. 

Jim's parents and grandma were the only family there and then a handful of our favorite friends who feel like family. 

Audrey had a meltdown pre and post party, but she actually seemed to enjoy herself while our guests were here. She was tired on her birthday because we spent the day before outside visiting two other parties and didn't get a nap. When Edison was two there weren't too many kiddos in our life but now we have more friends with kids and Audrey really loves spending time with them. 

Here's Audrey and Isabel, who is only 6, but a super loving older "sister" to Audrey, she is the best-

Looking back at it, I think Edison was more close with our "adult" friends at age two, probably because I had more time to tote him around and wasn't working so he got to develop relationships with them... but its a little different where Audrey likes our adult friends but she's ready to play with kids rather than interact with them. She's a lot shyer with our friends, but will inquire about them when they aren't around. 

I think the BIRTHDAY BRUNCH HIGHLIGHTS for Audrey were eating the doughnut holes and cake (before guests arrived she ate the spoon after I frosted the cake)! Playing with Isabel. She was gleeful getting "Happy Birthday" sung to her and it took a few times for her to blow the candle out. She also enjoyed seeing her 91 year old great grandma and cuddling with her a bit. Oh and she liked following her brother and the other older boys around, especially when they made a house under the table. 
Audrey got a little bike for her birthday and she is REALLY excited about it. We've ridden it inside and out! She also got some play food, a few stuffed animals, a playdough dentist kit, a dress and sunglasses. Thanks to all!

Post-party we also played outside on her new bike and in the backyard... Audrey was a princess and Edison was a king:
                                        
She was also so sleepy, but found time to sing "Happy Birthday to Audrey" to herself and the "ABCs" on the uke.

Here's some details about her party if I were one of those awesome mommy bloggers and you were here reading about how crafty and clever and stylish my family is, rather than just simply being a relative or friend.  

DIY DECOR:
-I DIY'd decorations for Audrey... I painted doilies pretty colors and then stenciled HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUDREY on them. In my mom life, I've always been big on bunting-inspired signage that I've seen on kid blogs. 
I thought the pattern on this one was pretty. It was just the paper that I painted the doilies on and instead of throwing it away, I stenciled a "2" on it, cut it out, and put it on the door. 

BIRTHDAY BRUNCH MENU:
-Doughnut hole kebabs like these ones on Pinterest... I bought doughnut holes from the local shop by our house Waltons Doughnuts and then made salted caramel dipping sauce and melted dark chocolate.
-I grilled hashbrowns outside and was slightly inspired by this recipe. I also grilled some vegetarian sausage and some Boulder brand local sausage. 
-Tofu scramble that I changed a bit.
-New York Times Iced Coffee and hot coffee too and OJ for kids.
-Kirsten made an awesome veggie stratta 
-OH and the cake... a Strawberry Milk Cake. I used Horizon Organic Strawberry Milk since that's all my grocery store had and so I had to use a drop of red food gel coloring to get it to be a cotton candy pink. I liked this recipe, it was very strawberry-y!

We will be celebrating Audrey's birthday once again with the Compton family next week on our family get together up in the mountains. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET AUDREY MAC COMPTON!

Also, now that Audrey is 2, she'll be ready for a "big girl bed," and so I got her sheets... here's a peek:

No comments: