Saw the breathtaking exhibit "Yves Saint Laurent: A Retrospective" at the Denver Art Museum today. It's the final weekend for it.
http://www.denverartmuseum.org/exhibitions/yves-saint-laurent-retrospective
There was no photography allowed in exhibit, but I took notes on my favorites in the collection. If I had some cash to indulge, I would have bought the book.
YSL talked about being inspired in his life by "aesthetic ghosts" and it got me thinking about how this metaphor translates to my experience at the museum and how his late 60s and early 80s dresses that were colorful with soft shapes and textures matched my personality (aesthetic) of how I like to carry myself.
One thing that is unique about YSL is that he never created clothing on a mannequin. He loved the female body so much that he needed a woman's real shape to design. Love the imagery of this too and how he said his clothes are clouds that hug the body!
YSL is still alive, but retired from the fashion world in 2002 as he didn't like the "business" end of how it had changed over the decades.
You can't stop being who you are, so I like to think that he still draws clothing and will leave behind his designs to marvel at long after he's gone.
After the exhibit they had a dedicated room where you could go design/get inspired/walk the runway, etc. I spent some time there and took a few photos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment