Monday, November 23, 2009

Glenwood Springs: Day 1

HEY ALL: I wrote this entry while in Glenwood, but the internet connection was so slow at the hotel I didn't have a chance to update pictures until now, so enjoy!

Today we boarded the California Zephyr en route to Glenwood Springs, Colorado. The train ride was about six hours and it went by fairly fast. Edison loved it! We ate two meals in the restaurant, spent a lot of time in the observation car and made friends with these sisters ages six and seven who just loved playing with Edison, and he loved it too!

Its interesting to talk with the people on the train and see how far they have been traveling. Some had boarded in New York and are on their way to California and others in Chicago, Iowa, etc. I was asking people if they were afraid of flying or if they were just train enthusiasts and most said that they just loved traveling by train. Actor/comedian Dan Aykroyd is even a train enthusiast and he is traveling the country by train as well and he had his own private train car hitched on the back of the Zephyr! I didn't get a glimpse of him though, but the train conductor said that it is common for people to hook their cars on the back of trains and travel cross-country that way.






As much as we had hoped, there was no possibility of taking a nap on the train, so first thing we did at our hotel was get Edison to sleep. We had gotten up early to get on the train and he was really sleepy but excited. Understandably, he had a short nap. But we're hoping now that he's
sleeping for the evening that he will get plenty of rest through the morning.

We are staying at the Hotel Colorado, the so-called birthplace of the teddy bear. Theodore Roosevelt used to stay at this hotel while in Colorado and the story goes that one day in 1901 when he was out hunting for bears he didn't have any luck and so the maids sewed together a stuffed bear-shaped doll to cheer him up and after he received it he said "I think I'll call it teddy" and the name stuck!

We had a fun, relaxing afternoon here in Glenwood. We walked around downtown for a bit, played in the hotel's courtyard which is brilliantly decorated for the holidays already and Jim took Edison and I for a spin around our floor on the hotel's luggage carrier that the bellboys use.

We had dinner across the street of our hotel at a place called La Fiesta Guadalajara and Edison chowed down! I was amazed. We got him the kids chicken enchilada which came with beans and rice. What I was surprised with was that he ate so much rice, he usually goes for the beans or the main course, so that was cute to me. The portions were so giant and so he didn't finish his meal.

We had a long, fun day and its proving to be a great start to our mini-family vacation.We went back to our hotel, we are on the fourth floor in a "family room" which is two rooms and a bathroom and Edison took a bath. Then we danced around to the "toddler tunes" station on the television until Edison figured out how to change channels and so we were listening to all stations and really having a fun time. Then we went into Edison's room, read books and put him down in his crib. He cried for 10 minutes until he drifted off into tired town, which is where I should head right now. Jim and I had the best intentions of staying up to watch a movie, but he is already fast asleep and I am ready too.


Tomorrow: Glenwood Hot Springs...

No comments: