Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Good Food on a Tight Budget

I'm gonna miss summer, the weather here in Denver is incredible and always sunny even in the snow, but I will miss it. Actually I already am beginning to in the mornings as I drive to work at 5am in the PITCH BLACK. During the summer, even though most of you are still sleeping, you get a little peek at some morning light at that time. 

Digging this "Good Food on a Tight Budget" guide. Some pragmatic advice. Here's the PDF: http://static.ewg.org/reports/2012/goodfood/pdf/goodfoodonatightbudget.pdf

My food shopping strategy is to not buy out of our means, meaning not too much fresh food unless I know I'm gonna cook it so that it won't go to waste. My fridge looks bear every few weeks, but at least I don't have rotting food in it.

Let me back up a bit... I liked looking at this guide because of some nice reminders of things I do and there's some great suggestions in it, plus if those who do have a tight budget and would actually peruse this, it could be helpful. Here's my current strategies that I take into account upon doing my weekly (or every two weeks) shopping-

1)I (almost) always have a list and stick to it. Compiling a grocery list is usually an indication that I've done some meal planning. But sometimes I'm uninspired since we do cook most every meal so I still stick to my shopping list, but will buy ingredients for the kids' favorite and easy for me to cook meals.

2)My meal planning is also compiled around what is on sale at the market, so I look at the weekly mailer and am mindful of that as I prepare my list. On the flipside, I don't buy things "just because" they're on sale either.

3)Lastly, to avoid temptation on yummy, processed food, oh-so-bad-for-you and no nutritional value snacks, I just don't buy them. I don't walk down the chip aisle unless I need to get pretzels or some kind of cracker. The cookie aisle at my grocery store is the same aisle as chips and candy... I shop at the local "farmers market" grocery store (which sells plenty of said snacks), but not as much. I just don't acknowledge them or else I will eat them before I even get a chance to let everyone else have one.

Back to the guide I posted a link to above, I do think that like it stresses that buying fresh veggies can be cheap. You don't have to buy a whole pound of something if you don't think you're gonna eat it up, but don't let that deter you. I also love them encouraging cooking lentils and quinoa. I cook with them, but not as much as I wish I did. This is due to life as a full-time working mom with little time between pick up from school and dinner.

ALSO, I am SOOOO making this caramel banana cake for myself for my birthday next month: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-caramel-banana-cake-28969

AND, I really want a fancy grilled cheese with pickles right now (and no I'm not pregnant, it was this picture and having a yummy one made for me at a foodie friend's party a few months ago that triggered this): http://bsinthekitchen.com/dill-pickle-grilled-cheese/

No comments: