Saturday, July 3, 2010

2 Year Well Baby Check-Up

I've been wanting to do this blog since we went to our appointment, but its just coming together now. This is the blog about Edison's visit to the pediatrician upon turning two. Its important to me to document it so I can look back at this in years to come just like I have with his other visits.

NOTE: I can't find the sheet from the pediatrician with all the info I need so I'm doing it from memory and will revisit and fill in rest when I find it, but just wanted to get this blog posted before I no longer have the time.

His stats:
Height- 34 inches (50% percentile)
Weight- 29 lbs, 1.5 oz (50-75% percentile)
Head circumference- _________ (50% percentile)

Good news, Edison has reached and sometimes exceeded his year two milestones and as I mention a lot, he continues to impress the doctor's and nurses with his language skills.

Doctor's advice for year two:
Look for interest in potty training. Edison is/has definitely been there, we let him run around naked since we spend a lot of time outside and he let's us know when he needs to go pee-pee. He sometimes makes it to the potty and sometimes not. We are just waiting for his sister to arrive and then be more structured about training him so he won't regress which is what some children tend to do.

Stick to milk and water as beverages, which is good for us. We do give Edison juice sometimes, but its usually fresh squeezed, sometimes not. We also give him fizzy water occasionally too, and he loves when I make "fauxjitos" a mix of fizzy water, fresh lime juice and mint. I'm not against juice, but in moderation... he has plenty of time in his life to drink high sugar drinks and doesn't love us more for offering it to him than milk. There's too many options nowadays.

In regards to food, I know sometimes I may sound a little too picky about not feeding him junk food, but as I say, why not offer the best natural ingredients when available. Like the pediatrician recommends, I want to be consistent and set an example that eating vegetables and fruit is just as normal as eating a box of macaroni and cheese. He's still an adventurous eater and loves simple foods like our typical lunch of steamed veggies (of all kinds), fruit, deli meat (ham and turkey are his faves), hummus and crackers. We've been eating homemade popsicles a lot lately too, so refreshing.

The first two years have been great, not always easy and I can't help that I'm an optimist and write sweet stuff about him all the time, no one's perfect. However I do delight in seeing him grow, learn and develop. You can anticipate how great being a parent is going to be, but its even more than that and I'm grateful that I can spend my days being Edison's mom.

OH and if you're wondering, here's Edison's stats from last year.

No comments: